/ Wednesday, March 26, 2014 / 6 Comments / ,

OrchidLife Nursery

It was one fine morning (initially) when I visited this farm together with fellow members of the Selangor and Federal Territory Gardening Society. Now why 'initially'? Coz it started to drizzle soon after, haha...

We were there for an orchid talk, organised by the society, on how to grow orchids and the use of appropriate fertilisers. Although I have been to this part of Sungai Buloh (the area near the Sungai Buloh Hospital), it did not occur to me that there is a orchid farm here till this visit. It is a wonderful farm to look for mokaras and vandas!



These Mokara and Vanda varieties that grow upwards (monopodial) can be grown on the ground with wood dust on the top of the soil and are great as hedges under the sun. They have beautiful roots as well...





Abdul Razak, the proprietor, showed us around the nursery, briefed us on the various orchids that he has in the farm and how he cultivates them.



One of the interesting points that he highlighted was to use sheep or goat-pelleted manure to feed orchids. Well, I know my friend does this (me as well!) but as a professional orchid grower, he also uses this method! Can't wait to tell my friend that we have actually been doing things correctly all this while, haha...



And when buying new orchids, always look for free-flowering ones and those that already have old flower stalk on the plant :-D



Young orchids in small trays are being grown right at the front, next to the entrance. The orchids that are grown in the ground are located at the back. The orchids that are in the front are in small pots, mostly growing in charcoal media and displayed on the racks.



Though this orchid farm started only about seven years ago, the family has been living in Sungai Buloh and in the ornamental plant business for a long, long time. The farm opens from 9.00am to 5.00pm daily and is situated at the back of the house. So you may not be able to spot the farm from the road. Just count the lots you pass by and look for Lot 85 (it's the one with no signage!).

Plant Variety Rating: 3.75 | The varieties of orchid that the farm has is mostly of popular species for cut flowers and free-flowering orchids (include dendrobiums and oncidiums) for ornamental use.



Plant Condition Rating: 4.50 | Most of the plants are in very good condition. Save for those upright mokaras and vandas that were planted on the ground, the rest are placed under a netting for protection against the hot sun.



Layout Rating: 4.75 | The farm is arranged systematically and I love the cemented flooring - no muddy ground even though it was drizzling when we were there :-D



Garden Products Rating: NA | They have good orchid fertilisers i.e. those that they use in the nursery!

To view the map to Kampung Melayu Sungai Buloh, click here.

CONTACT DETAILS

OrchidLife Nursery
Lot 85 Kampung Melayu
47000 Sungai Buloh
Selangor
Tel: 6012-221 9105 (Abdul Razak Mohd Isa)
Email: abd.razak@orchidlife.com.my
Website: www.orchidlife.com.my


Share This Post :
Tags : ,

6 comments:

Jasmine Alyssa said...

Hello there. I came across your blog and I find it very interesting. My mother and I are avid lovers of orchids. I came to love orchids while seeing my mother planting and pruning them in the backyard since I was a little girl. Prices of orchid plants these days are increasing. Luckily, my mother was given orchid plants by the cuttings ands rootings from her friends and also my grandmother to plant. Currently, she has around 16 different orchid plants in our backyard. The weather in Malaysia is humid and hot these days and it has been taking a toll on the plants. I am trying my hardest to diligently water them every evening. Hahaha. And also, I find the information of using goat-pelleted manure to feed the plants. I will suggest this to my mum as she uses ordinary fertilisers. Thank you for the informational blog entry and beautiful pictures! (:

Jasmine Alyssa, Malaysia

Stephanie said...

Hello Jasmine!

It's great to know orchid lovers like you, your mother and your grandmother! Wow! Looks like the love for orchid runs in your family :-) So I am sure your orchids will thrive. Btw during sunny days, water another time in the morning. that means water twice daily - once in the morning and in the late afternoon.

Cheers,
Steohanie

john Jayaratnam said...

Hi There,

I love orchids as well. Thank you so much for the thorough write up..will definitely visit this nursery this week.

John
Klang

Stephanie said...

Thank you for leaving such a kind comment here, John. It is always good to hear from my readers every now and then. Happy shopping for orchids :-) Stephanie

Unknown said...

What a great post. I’m really like it! Very, very dgdeeac good!
tree nursery

Stephanie said...

Thank you, Richard :-)

[3][Green-up Solution][featured][Green-up Solution]
[3][Garden Solution][featured][Garden Solution]

Follow On Feedly

follow us in feedly

Shop My Book

My YouTube Channel

Welcome

I enjoy gardening and visiting nurseries and garden retailers. Here I will share what I see with reviews and ratings, from 1 (poor) to 5 (excellent).

My aim is to help you find a vendor near you and to encourage more people to be interested in greening the earth in a natural way i.e. by adding greens to their home!

Greens make a garden. The various gardening ideas published here are for you to get new inspirations for your garden. If you would like to advertise on this site or have a nursery that you would like me to review, please feel free to drop me a note by email.

Your feedback and comments are most appreciated and welcomed. Have a blessed day working on your garden!

Cheers, Stephanie

Contact me, email mygreenfinder at hotmail dot com

Feedback on a post, 'Post a Comment'

Follow me,                

Plant Vendor Index

Post A Message

Subscribe to MGF News

Enter your email address to receive updates straight to your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner





Share This Site

Translate